Monday, July 19, 2010




Well...it is time for a new post here. I have been tatting when I can...time is so limited these days for me. But I did make this Butterfly necklace. The pattern I used mostly for the butterfly came from the tatting book entitled "Tatted Butterflies" by Adelheid Dangla. The pattern is on page 11. I did change the pattern some because I wanted to add beads to the butterfly and I wanted to make a necklace.
I used size 20 thread in HDT from Sherry Pence aka LadyShuttlemaker. http://ladyshuttlemaker.blogspot.com/
( I wish I could get one of her silver shuttles...sigh). I also used some Lizbeth thread from Handy Hands.
http://www.handyhandstatting.com/index.html. On the bottom wings I alternated the HDT and the solid Lizbeth thread to make the bottom wings look different from the top but not too different. In the middle of the body I also used Swarovski to make the body stand out more and have a bit of its own sparkle. The smaller beads are delicas size 11 I think. I really liked the wings in this butterfly. The wings have the leaf technique of Ruth Scharf. I think I read on the tatting list that Ruth Scharf's books might be printed again. There are some great designs in her books.
I also used Nina Libin style of adding beads to my butterfly.
I have made some of Nina's jewelry designs and love doing them.

I have to say that I like the necklace more than these pictures are showing you. There is alot of sparkle that is not showing in the pictures.
So what do you think of my necklace. How about my choice of colors....doesn't it just scream right off your computer monitor?

9 comments:

Ladytats said...

very pretty and I like your choice of techniques. have fun wearing it.

BSOTF said...

Your Butterfly neckless is breath taking! Even if the picture doesn't do it justice, you can tell that there's more to it because of the beads, that it is very pretty even in this picture. It's awlsome!

Fox said...

Yup! It sure does! Excellent colour! Love the threads you used.
Fox : )

Tatman said...

That screams "celticdreamweaver"!!! Like the colorway you chose. You will look dazzling wearing at PTD for sure.

victats@gmail.com said...

You have such a gift for colors. I love the way you've blended the 2threads.

Ilene said...

Beautiful, and quite unique! How large is the butterfly?

Tatskool said...

Stunning....and to think that I never fancy anything in that book.

battatter said...

I love the butterfly necklace! so pretty! You did a great job. I like the color, too.

Shirley Burger said...

wow!! that's a great butterfly. i'm not much for necklaces, but what a great focal point. i really enjoy doing butterflies and would love that pattern.
i'll have to see about that book.
shirley b.