Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Great Grandma Effie Showing my mother in law tatting




Okay..I have to share this story. Years ago my husband and I flew to Florida to drive back home a car his mother gave us since she had no need for two cars. While we were there she gave me a black shuttle and said it was her mothers. IF Gary's Mom was still alive she would have been 100yeas old on 12/13/20014 which was last month. Her mother died at a young age so her Grandmother raised her. Yesterday, my husband and I were at his cousin's house trying to put names to faces i...n really old family pictures and my husband's cousin says to me here is a picture of Gladys (Gary's Mother) watching her Grandmother (Effie) Tatting. Well...you would have thought I stroke GOLD but I "struck" an old picture of ancestral family member watching another family member tatting. How exciting is that?!!!! So in these pictures is the shuttle that I was given, which is the same one in the picture. I scanned the picture so I can share my excitement with you and to have a blow up so I can print out 8" by 10" to put in frame and hang on my wall. Thank you so much Cynthia!!!!!!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Wonderful, wonderful. It was fun & exciting to read your story. Karen in OR

Robin Perfetti said...

Love the story and the photo (especially the giant hair bow!) I'm the only tatter in my family, so no hidden treasures for me to find, but I can imagine your excitement at stumbling upon the photo that goes along with the shuttle.

Jane McLellan said...

Great story!

AKTATTER said...

Sherry, please email me about this photo.
Georgia
AKTATTER@aol.com
thanks

Kathy Niklewicz said...

What a fantastic photo! Looks like it may have been taken in the early 1920s? And it's amazing that you now have that shuttle! So exciting!

muskaan said...

What an heirloom - photo as well as shuttle ! Good for you, and so very inspiring to be holding a piece of history in your hands, right :-)

Bernice said...

What a treasure you have. I love old photographs.